If you are starting to think about buying a home in the New Year, there are a few resolutions you can make that will help your achieve that goal in the coming months. Here are some New Year’s resolutions that can make your dream of buying a home a reality:
- I will save $100 extra dollars every month. When you’re saving to buy a home, every little bit counts. If you start putting away an extra hundred dollars every month, that’s a bigger egg you have to offer for your down payment or as a cushion for starting to pay your mortgage. Finding an extra hundred dollars in your budget might feel difficult at first, but you’ll be glad you did it when you’re starting to pay for your new home.
- I will buy one piece of furniture that I absolutely love. You should not simply fill your home with pieces of ugly, inexpensive furniture that you buy at yard sales. It is important to start budgeting for furniture, too. Furniture and decorations are what really make a house a home, so resolve to buy at least one piece that you really, truly love and which represents the aesthetic you want in your new home.
- I will not be cowed by the enormity of this decision. Many people make the goal to buy a home and then back out once they see how long the process is going to be and how big the commitment is. Once you’ve decided, do not let fear start to invade your resolve. Buying a home is a big step, yes, but it’s a step towards freedom and financial security, not away from it.
- I will not settle. It can be tempting, when you have been looking at homes for a long time, to just settle on the next house you see. If there are things that you really want in your home, do not compromise simply because it is taking you a long time to find those things.
- I will take care of my new home. Moving in is just the first step. Once you’ve moved in, there is maintenance and upkeep that your home needs in order to stay in premium condition. Don’t neglect your home!